Watermelon is one of Japan’s most popular summer foods. The Japanese folk enjoys this seasonal fruit in every size and color. It’s the perfect gift for their friends and family, it is refreshing, and it is delicious.
Let’s start with the basics.
A Watermelon will provide you with:
• Vitamin A: Essential for our vision’s health, immune system booster, and guardian of our reproductive system. Vitamin A will also improve the health of our heart, kidneys, and lungs.
• Vitamin C: Improves our immune systems as well, maintains our skins healthy, and prevents cardiovascular diseases. It is one of the nutrients that the doctor will ask you to consume regularly.
• Iron: Helps us transport oxygen throughout the body, iron is crucial for healthy organ function, and to avoid feeling fatigued.
In case you still doubt of the benefits of eating a fresh slice of watermelon in the summer, this fruit will:
• Keep you hydrated: Watermelons are 92% water, which will keep you full and satisfied while also providing you the essential water that we all need to survive.
• Help you reduce blood pressure, fighting hypertension. The high lycopene content of the watermelon can keep your cholesterol level in check, thus improving your cardiovascular system’s health.
• Lower inflammation: Inflammation is what most chronic diseases have in common, watermelon has a powerful lycopene and vitamin C combination that will help you stay away from chronic diseases, like cancer.
• Do wonders for your skin and hair: Watermelon is one of the secrets of Japanese men’s and women’s young, healthy skins. This summer fruit has collagen, a protein needed to keep our skin healthy and young, and our hair strong. We produce less and less collagen as we get older (enter wrinkles and hair loss), and consuming this protein will help our body receive the supply it needs.
Watermelon will also prevent macular degeneration, a chronic disease that affects the eyes; it’s a fruit and a vegetable that can help reduce muscle soreness, prevent asthma and constipation, reduce insulin resistance, promote weight loss, keep our bones healthy, and our gums clean.
A quote by Mark Twain
There is a quote by Mark Twain that says: “When One Has Tasted a Watermelon, He Knows What The Angels Eat.” And he was right, the sweet taste of this fruit is refreshing for the summer, but it’s the healthy substance what holds its magic!